Sunday, February 8, 2009

YOUR CRAZY!!!

My husband and I just watched the documentary made by Rikki Lake called, "The Business of Being Born."  The film is about home births vs. hospital births and how our American culture has made a business out of giving birth.   It was truly an eye opening movie.  After the movie, Eye looks at me and says, "so...now what...are we having a home birth now?"  Before we watched that movie I was always fascinated about water births.  I love the water.   I learned how to swim when I was 18 months old.  Both my husband and I are Pisces, so water has been apart of our relationship.   Before the movie I was pretty much set on having a hospital birth and and maybe having a home birth for my 2nd child.  I have no idea of what to expect when I have my baby.  I have no idea how much pain I can tolerate.  I have no idea how it's going to go down.   I am scared of the pain.  I am scared of having cesarean, even though two of my best girl friends have had them and are completely fine.  I thought I would find comfort on being in a hospital, but now I am questioning that. I love the thought of being in control of my situation and environment.  I love the thought of my son entering the world in water with me and Eye.  I love the thought of being in the privacy of my own home.   I love the thought of going through the right of passage that millions of women have been through for centuries. 

 It's funny, now that I am showing, the question is now "Where are you delivering?"  When I have replied, "I was actually thinking about a home birth." The most common response is, "YOUR CRAZY!"   Am I?

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin