Friday, March 6, 2009

90%

Yesterday I had an appointment with my OB.  I've gained 20 pounds total, which is totally normal.  He said I'll probably gain about 10 more pounds which puts me at the normal gain weight in pregnancy.  Must say I'm happy about that!  I really like my OB, he's very cool.  He's actually delivered two of my friend's babies.  One was emergency cesarean and one was natural.   I asked him a bunch of questions which, which he answered in a way that I thought he would.  "Only if baby or Mom is in danger then  (fill in the blank)"  Then the big questions was "How do you feel about home births?"    Don don daaaaa.  He responded, "Birth is a natural process, and if that's the route you want to go then there's no point in seeing me."    Whhhheeewww.  The key sentence for me was, "Birth is a natural process."  I was so happy he said that. I was totally afraid he was going to try and steer me away from having a home birth.  For me that was kinda my blessing from him.  I knew I liked him for a reason.  I then asked him if I did go with a home birth and I needed to transfer to the hospital, could he still be my doctor.  Unfortunately I knew the answer would be "No", due to liability.  Which makes me sad, but I understand.   If I do have to transfer then I know I will be fine because I will have my midwife, doula, and my husband.  I'm totally fine with the transfer if I have to.  I'm open to whatever needs to happen.   So I am pretty much 90% water birth.  Since my parents will be actually living with us now, I have to talk to them about it.  My Dad was never at the hospital for any of our births.  He just dropped my Mom off, went to work and came back to see the baby. I know he's not going to want to be around for my birth.   Sigh...so that's the next big conversation I need to have.   Wish me luck!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Leigh said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so excited for you! I just got kind of teary reading that post! Bless your Doc for his response to your question about having a home birth. I know that made you feel so much better and stronger about the decision (well, the 90% decision). YAY! Good luck with your parents :) They sound so there for you and supportive, I'm sure it will be a godsend to have them around, especially after the birth. Both of our moms came to stay with us the day after J was born and I don't know what I would have done without them. xoxo.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin